CBT School Counseling Game with The Helper Squad
The Helper Squad is here to grow students' social-emotional skills in small group counseling and individual counseling. Just like you, these 5 engaging characters are focused on helping students develop necessary SEL skills.
This printable counseling game will get your students practicing feelings identification, coping skills, perspective taking, positive thinking, and problem solving. Use this game along with the other Helper Squad resources to target these skills even deeper.
What You Get
- 60 age-typical scenario cards so you have plenty to use again and again.
- Brief pre/post assessments to gather data about student skills.
- Game directions and additional game materials: answer slips, secret envelop label
- Student answer recording sheet
- Supplemental CBT think-feel-act map to explore student perspectives further
- The Helper Squad cards and posters. See more about the characters below.
Who is this for?
Perfect for school counselors, school psychologists, and school social workers looking for CBT-based counseling materials that grow students' social-emotional skills.
Ways to Use It
You can use The Helper Squad Counseling Game as a group counseling game or 1:1 with a student. You can use the game cards as task cards during individual counseling sessions.
The Helper Squad
The Helper Squad game came to life because I always struggled to find counseling materials that incorporated both CBT and social-emotional learning. I needed materials that were flexible and reusable. Most importantly, I wanted materials that my students connected to and used even when they were struggling.
The 5 Members of the Helper Squad
- Chief Emotion Officer helps us identify how we are feeling, how strong our feelings are, what triggers certain feelings, and when a feeling may get too big to handle.
- Doctor Positive helps us change negative thoughts by using facts for our thinking. Realistic, positive thinking is her goal!
- Coping Captain helps us use coping strategies when we are overwhelmed. He teaches us ways to calm down and makes sure we prepared when tough situations are ahead.
- Impact Inspector helps us understand how our actions affect others. She shows us how to see the situation from other perspectives and see if different choices would have led to a better outcome.
- Fantastic Fix-It helps us find ways to solve problems and make a situation better. He helps us apologize and come up with real solutions.