Challenging Negative Thinking Activities for Positive Self Talk
CBT based counseling activities to change negative thinking and replacing it with positive self-talk. Use this in small group counseling or individual counseling to help students with automatic negative thoughts identify them, find strategies to challenge them, and create positive replacement thoughts.
This resource is packed with materials so you can continue to practice and reinforce the concept til students feel comfortable.
This is a digital download. No physical product will be shipped.
- Small Group or Individual Plan. This counseling plan is meant to be flexible so that you can respond to the needs and skills of your student(s).
- Change Your Thinking Poster. Simple poster to help students change their negative thoughts.
- Sort the Thoughts Activity. Students sort 36 thoughts that are either too negative, too positive, or just right.
- Challenging Negative Thinking Materials. 12 suggested strategies to challenge negative thinking. Students can apply these to provided negative thoughts or their own negative thinking. Six strategy cards are included.
- Bright Light Thoughts Activity. Students create a positive thought they can use to counter negative thoughts. Example statements are included.
- 10 Keep It Positive Worksheets. 10 worksheets with thirty different examples. Each example gives a typical student problem and a corresponding negative thought. Below the scenario and negative thought is space for the student to write a positive thought they could think instead.
- Blank Worksheet: This provides the template that a counselor and student could fill in together by letting the student generate a personal scenario and negative thought. This will help the student make a stronger connection. A counselor could also use this sheet to come up with more examples of their own.
- 2 Reflection Sheets: Two sheets are provided with reflection questions that students can answer in the process of analyzing their feelings, thoughts, and behaviors after a triggering event.
- Negative Automatic Thoughts Poster and List: Thinking error poster and list of more specific errors.
- Student Skills Data Sheet. Track how your student is doing with these skills.
Who Should Buy This?
This resource is ideal for individual counseling or within small CBT-based groups. Many parts can be used by special education and general education teachers in their work with individual students. Parents may also find this very helpful.
The resource is based on cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and is perfect for students in 3rd-6th grade. It can easily be modified for second grade as well.
What Are People Saying?
This activity was very useful with a student who had trouble with "just right" thoughts. Most of his thoughts were very black and white, and this helped him find a good middle ground with his thinking.
A powerful resource. There has already been a shift of negative thoughts in the classroom.
This was amazing! I decided to do this lesson last minute (I listened to a podcast that inspired me). I stumbled on this product and it was so helpful. Definitely worth the few bucks. The kids really took something away from the lesson and learned something that will help them as they grow.