Knowing how to accept compliments is a key social skill that lets students build and maintain friendships. In this lesson, students will understand what accepting a compliment should look like and what it shouldn't look like. The lesson provides scaffolded instruction, multiple practice activities, and opportunities for reflection. The engaging winter-themed resource will help target key social emotional skills while connecting with students.
This lesson could easily be used for students who need explicit instruction and additional practice with social pragmatics.
- 3-Step Mini-Lesson on Accepting Compliments. This mini-lesson provides different options so you can differentiate for your students’ skills and ages. It also provides more activities than would typically be covered within a lesson to help you reinforce skills later and have more choice in the structure of your lesson.
- Anchor Charts: Don’t Reject or Deflect, Accept, Ways We Deflect and Reject, How to Accept a Compliment, Responses to Compliments
- Compliment Response Sort: Sorting Mat and Snowball Responses (Accept Responses, Deflect/Reject Responses, and Blank)
- Accepting Compliments Worksheet
- Revise a Deflect/Reject Response
- Compliment Reflection Journal Page
- Follow-Up Class Activity Suggestions
- Accepting Compliments Sentence Stems
- Exit Tickets
Who Should Buy This?This resource is for classroom teachers, school counselors, or other school staff looking to integrate social-emotional learning into the classroom. It can be used as a whole group, small group, or individual lesson.
This is a digital download. No physical product will be shipped.