This resource will help students understand, recognize, and challenge their negative thinking or negative self-talk. Everyone struggles with negative thinking from time to time. Many of the students we see for counseling struggle with thinking errors every day. They don’t recognize their negative thoughts or that it is causing negative feelings and actions. This resource helps them better understand their own cognitive distortions and the kinds we all might have. Use the resources included to help them recognize it, challenge it, and replace it with realistic, positive self-talk.
- Flexible individual or small group session plan
- Guide: How to help students connect thoughts, feelings, and actions
- Thoughts - Feelings - Actions poster
Negative Thinking Psychoeducation
- Different types of negative thought errors with kid-friendly terms
- Negative thinking poster
- Posters of each negative thinking error.
- Negative thought cards (half page, small card)
- Example negative thoughts
- Example alternate positive thoughts
Exercises to Challenge Negative Thinking
- 13 strategies to challenge negative thinking (half page, small card)
- Student-created plan to challenge negative thinking
- Thought journal to track negative thoughts
- Changing negative thoughts worksheet
- Changing your thinking poster
Who Should Buy This?
This resource is ideal for individual school counseling or within small CBT-based groups. School counselors, school psychologists, and school social workers with a background in CBT will get the most use out of this resource. Many parts can be used by special education and general education teachers in their work with individual students. Parents may also find this very helpful.
The resource is based on cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and is perfect for students in 3rd-6th grade.
Prior to using these activities, make sure the student understands the connection between their thoughts, feelings, and actions. They should also be able to differentiate between a thought and a feeling.
What Are People Saying?
This resource is a gem! It got a lot of use with individual students last year, and I'm looking forward to having it as a go-to activity again this year.
Probably the most often used resource in my counseling office. LOVE!!!!
Love all of the great activities! A wonderful resource!
This is a digital download. No physical product will be shipped.