SEL Read Aloud Companion for Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon
Interactive read alouds are a perfect way to address social emotional learning in the classroom. Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell is a wonderful book that shows children to be proud of who you are no matter what anyone says. The book focuses on a little girl who is a bit different taking her grandmother's advice to stand tall.
The materials provided include, a 3-step lesson plan, read aloud comprehension questions, two student activities, discussion questions, and self talk card. See the preview for more detail.
** The Book, , is necessary for this resource. **
This is a digital download. No physical product will be shipped.
- 3-Step Read Aloud Lesson Plan for with corresponding student activities.
- Sticky Note Comprehension Questions (with printing directions) and a 1-pg sheet of questions and vocabulary.
- Connecting to the Story Worksheets - students pick on character trait from the book and then they choose one of their own traits to be proud of.
- Proud Circles - students add their unique trait to a circle and why they are proud.
- Discussion Questions - 18 text dependent discussion questions to extend students' understanding of the book. Can be used in whole group, small group, or with individual students.
Social Emotional Learning Standards
- Names the emotions felt by characters in stories.
- Describes a time you felt the same way a story character felt.
- Describes things you do well.
- Describes situations in which you feel confident.
- Identifies the personal traits of characters in stories.
- Describes an achievement that makes you feel proud.
Who Should Buy This?
What Are People Saying?
I love this story! The variety of activities makes it easy to apply to more than one grade level.