Editable K-8 Social Emotional Skills Checklists
Social-emotional skills are the "soft skills" that students need to be successful in school and in the future. It includes understanding and managing emotions, setting goals, establishing and maintaining relationships, understanding and respecting others, resolving conflicts, and making responsible decisions.
Checklists are great for keeping track of student progress, planning lessons and communicating progress. It is essential that we are using standards for social-emotional skills to plan our interventions and lessons.
It can be challenging to measure or keep track of these skills though. This resource is two sets of Social Emotional Skills Checklists for grades K-8 based on the CASEL competencies and pioneer work from states and districts.
Multi-Grade ChecklistsBased on Standards from Austin Independent School District and Anchorage School District
- Checklists for three grade bands: K-2, 3-5, 6-8.
- Covers the five CASEL competencies: Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Social Awareness, Relationships Skills, and Responsible Decision Making.
- Checklist format:
- Goal > Objective > Student Behaviors
- 5 Goals > 17 Objectives
Single Grade Level ChecklistsBased on Standards from Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE)
- Checklists for each grade, grades 1-8.
- Combines the five CASEL competencies into three: Self Awareness and Self Management, Social Awareness and Relationship Skills, and Responsible Decision Making.
- Checklist Format
- 3 Goals > 10 Learning Standards > Performance Descriptors
- 10 standards in 3 goal areas
There are probably more uses for these than I can come up with, but here are a few that I have incorporated often.
- Use before and after an intervention group.
- Use as quarterly data for a grade level.
- Use during evaluations.
- Use in team meetings to discuss student skills.
- Planning social and emotional learning programs.
- Discuss with parents the skills that students are expected to develop.
Who Should Buy This?
This resource is perfect for educators looking to more structure and data into their SEL programs. School psychologists, school counselors, administrators, SEL specialists, and other educators in K-8 will find this resource helpful.
CASEL (Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning) has established five competencies for social-emotional learning. Some school districts and states have taken this work and developed standards to be used at each grade level or a multi-grade level band. The gold standards of this work have been developed by the Illinois State Board of Education, Austin Independent School District (AISD), and Anchorage School District.
The AISD and the Anchorage School District use almost identical standards, goals, and benchmarks. I have merged these two sets of standards into one given their similarity. These districts also created five grade bands (early elementary, upper elementary, middle school, early high school, and late high school). Elementary through Middle School is included here.
The Illinois State Board of Education created 3 goals drawn from CASEL’s five competencies and then created 10 standards for those three goals. Each grade has two to three levels of skills/performance descriptors that should be expected to be accomplished under each standard.
We Also Recommend
Feelings Posters with Printable and Digital Activities for Distance Learning